Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Why Age, Condition, and Provenance for a title?

As I launch this new blog I pondered on the name for some time.  I finally settled on "Age, Condition, and Provenance".  Some readers will understand why I decided on this collection of words.  In short, these three words are best used to evaluate antiques.  As I was preparing my Appraisal site for launch, I wondered what I should convey to antique collectors and those that just have a curiosity for the old and unique.  So much misinformation and just plain wrong advice is available that I have decided to give a concerted effort towards educating clients and visitors of this blog and its related website www.pineknollappraisals.com and give them at least a walking knowledge of what they are looking  at so as to minimize the risk from being taken in a deal and duped out of their hard earned monies.  Many of the entries to this blog will deal with determining if a piece has been altered, is a "married" piece (formerly know as a bastard piece, but that term is no longer considered acceptable), is a reproduction, or is a true (to the best of their abilities to know) antique or vintage item.  This blog will discuss how to determine a period of time from which the item originated, how to spot a bogus story and how to arrive at a fair price for the item.  I do not claim to be the "know all - end all" person for knowledge, but I do know that having had an interest in antiques since 1969, I do know a thing or two about these wonderful pieces.  I have refinished antiques for years, completing my first piece when I was 9 and have refinished and restored nearly all of the furniture in our house and shops.  
     As a bit of background, I have been an Horologist (clock repair and restoration man) since 1981.  I built my first clock at the age of 8. (looking back it was not very attractive, but it did work!) I own and operate Pine Knoll Clock Shop and Pine Knoll Clock Works in Mercer, PA (you can follow these businesses on their own blogs www.pineknollclockshop.blogspot.com and www.pineknollclockworks.blogspot.com 
or visit their websites at  
www.pineknollclock.com and www.pineknollclockworks.com  
Of course all of my businesses have a facebook pages.
I have been amazed over the past 35 years at the amount of wrong information and just plain lying that takes place in the antiques world.   I have completed my course work becoming a Certified Antiques Appraiser as well as becoming proficient in strict observance of the Professional Appraiser Code of Conduct and a member of the Asheford Institute of Antiques.   
I want to help educate my readers and answer their questions on antiques as well as the restoration and conservation of them.  I look forward to this venture and invite you to follow the blog so you will be notified when a posting takes place.


No comments:

Post a Comment